The mosquito-borne disease which is suspected of causing serious birth defects is indeed expected to spread to all countries in the Americas except Canada and Chile and does remain a global health emergency.
- Zika is much to be concerned about.
- As compared to that other big, scary virus of recent years, Zika may also seem relatively harmless.
- Several of Zika at present has spread across more than 30 countries; it has indeed proved to be deadly.
Is there a link between Zika and microcephaly?
- Zika outbreak is of much concern as its occurrence in Brazil does appear to have coincided with a surge in the number of cases of microcephaly, a rare neurological condition which does leave children with unusually small heads. In many cases of microcephaly, the child’s brain may not develop properly. In Brazil, there has been an abundance of more severe cases that do include the number of cases where the child dies shortly after birth.
- Many suspects that there is a link between the Zika outbreak and the rise in cases of microcephaly.
- The evidence for a link between Zika and microcephaly has become much more compelling. The virus has been found in the amniotic fluid of pregnant women who are carrying fetuses with microcephaly, in the brain tissue of infants who suffer from microcephaly and who died shortly after birth, and also in the placenta of women who have miscarried fetuses with this condition.
- The question that arises is whether there is a link between Zika and other health issues, including one rare syndrome that can lead to paralysis
- While there has been an increase in the cases of microcephaly that appear to be limited to Brazil so far, a large number of countries have reported a rise in the number of GBS cases.
- This is not an only a medical issue that may be linked to Zika. Doctors, in fact, have observed a quite few cases of major eye defects with microcephaly.
How can Zika be transmitted?
- The virus spreads primarily via bites from the Aedes aegypti mosquito.
- Mosquitos are not the only cause. Sexual transmission of the Zika virus also can be a cause. Zika virus is also “active” in saliva and urine.
- The real extent of Zika
- The virus has been spreading quite fast and could infect several people on account of it.
How to end this outbreak
One can eradicate Zika by either producing genetically altered mosquitoes or perhaps simply killing mosquitoes altogether. One of the simplest ways to control a virus is to have a vaccine. Creating vaccines is quite difficult and an expensive process.
Zika is no more obscure and has created global health emergencies that have taken the world’s scientific community by surprise. Much focus has been on the known and unknown of what entails the virus. The virus has indeed proved to be more dangerous than what anyone thought of.
Many efforts are on the scientific community to deal with Zika.
Today, infertility affects 1 in every 6 couples and so Fertility treatments have come a long way to help meet the need of the day. Ferty9 Hospital is one of the best Fertility centers in Hyderabad offering effective fertility solutions to couples aspiring fruitful parenthood.